Dart River Wilderness Safari
- 4 hours
- Hotel pickup/drop-off offered
- Offered in: English and 1 more
Take an exhilarating journey into the heart of Mt Aspiring National Park, experiencing a thrilling jet boat ride amid breathtaking scenery. Walk amongst ancient forest unchanged for 80 million years and view the awe-inspiring locations of many Middle Earth movie scenes.
Leaving Queenstown, travel along one of the world’s top 10 scenic drives to the settlement of Glenorchy at the head of Lake Wakatipu. Your journey continues with Dart River Jet Safaris, the only jet boat operator allowed on the Dart River. Navigate the ever-changing shallow channels of the glacier-fed braided river system – complete with jet spins! Your expert driver will stop along the way to highlight the breathtaking scenery and discuss what makes this unique area so significant.
Explore New Zealand’s unique vegetation and wildlife on a 30-minute guided bush walk on a rolling trail through ancient native beech forest. Guides will share their knowledge of the area’s history, with stories of the greenstone trail and Māori legends. Then travel by four wheel-drive bus along a back-country route, where you’ll learn more about this fascinating area and stop to view the spectacular scenery that has formed the epic backdrop for many international movies, including Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies. At the end of your safari, take a break for lunch in Glenorchy (own expense) before returning to Queenstown by coach.
- Operates daily
- Enjoy an exhilarating jet-boat ride on the Dart River
- Admire the beauty of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Mt Aspiring National Park on a guided nature walk
- Learn about unique vegetation and wildlife with your expert naturalist guide
- Round trip transport from Queenstown
8:30 amTour departs Queenstown Information Centre
1:00 pmTour returns Queenstown Information Centre
Available from selected inner-city hotels (must request pick-up separately)
- Life jackets and wet weather gear are supplied for your jet safari; however, warm clothing is advised.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum child age 3 years old and minimum height of 3’3.5’’(1 meter) applies irrespective of child’s age
- Not wheelchair accessible
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable, supportive close-toed shoes
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems, pregnant travellers, travellers with heart problems or travellers with other serious medical conditions
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travellers
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund. For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time. If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded. Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted. Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund. This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Reference tour code: DRS