Dart River Wilderness Safari
- 6 hours 5 minutes
- Hotel pickup/drop-off offered
- Offered in: English and 3 more
Take an exhilarating journey into the heart of Mt Aspiring National Park, experiencing a thrilling jet boat ride amid breathtaking scenery. Walk amongst ancient forest unchanged for 80 million years and view the awe-inspiring locations of many Middle Earth movie scenes.
Leaving Queenstown, travel along one of the world’s top 10 scenic drives to the settlement of Glenorchy at the head of Lake Wakatipu. Your journey continues with Dart River Jet Safaris, the only jet boat operator allowed on the Dart River. Navigate the ever-changing shallow channels of the glacier-fed braided river system – complete with jet spins! Your expert driver will stop along the way to highlight the breathtaking scenery and discuss what makes this unique area so significant.
Explore New Zealand’s unique vegetation and wildlife on a 30-minute guided bush walk on a rolling trail through ancient native beech forest. Guides will share their knowledge of the area’s history, with stories of the greenstone trail and Māori legends. Then travel by four wheel-drive bus along a back-country route, where you’ll learn more about this fascinating area and stop to view the spectacular scenery that has formed the epic backdrop for many international movies, including Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies. At the end of your safari, take a break for lunch in Glenorchy (own expense) before returning to Queenstown by coach.
- Operates daily
- Dart River Jet Boat
- Guided forest walk
- Back-country scenic bus tour
- Premium air-conditioned coach
7:40 amTour departs Queenstown Information Centre
1:45 pmTour returns Queenstown Information Centre
Available from selected inner-city hotels.
- Life jackets and wet weather gear are supplied for your jet safari; however, warm clothing is advised
- GPS commentary is available in Mandarin, Japanese and Spanish during the bush walk and coach sectors of your Wilderness Safari tour. Headsets are available free of charge but must be pre-booked to avoid disappointment.
Change or cancel your booking FREE up to 2 hours before departure.
Reference tour code: DR77
Similar Tours and Activities
- 12 hours 25 minutes
- Luxury glass roof coach
- Milford Sound cruise
from $240 NZD
- 3 hours
- City Sightseeing
- Lord of the Rings Scenery
from $100 NZD
- 8 hours 5 minutes
- Free Cancellation
- Full-day Sightseeing Tour
from $154 NZD
- 4 hours 45 minutes
- Complimentary pickup/drop-off
- Multilingual commentary available
from $180 NZD